It's just not Christmas until we've made a batch or two of these delicious spiced cookies. They have a crunchy outside, chewy center, and the aroma of these cookies will fill your house with yummy! They are amazingly simple, keep well, make a wonderful addition to your kid's teacher gifts. That is, if you can hide enough of them from your family to give away. They're also a great cookie for kids to help make as they can help roll the dough into balls and dip them in the colored sugar.
Molasses Sugar Cookies
yield: 6 dozen
|A great gift for friends, neighbors, and teachers in these |
cute bags I got from Hobby Lobby.
2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. molasses
4 c. flour
4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 pinch of cardamom (optional)
Christmas colored sugars
- Melt shortening in a saucepan and cool.
- Add to mixer bowl and cream with sugar, eggs, and molasses.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to wet mixture. Mix well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into walnut size balls and roll in colored sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops appear to crackle (see picture).
- Cool and store in an airtight container.